POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : union of unions : Re: union of unions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: union of unions
From: Rune
Date: 10 Sep 2002 11:32:25
Message: <3d7e1089@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> My point is that it's easier to spot that "something"
> if it has a peculiar shape, like '{'.

(1) That's a statement not supported with an objective argument. I
happen to disagree.

>   *Anything* can be a lot of things and it may not
> always be clear which of those things is the one
> you are looking for.

(2) The one that's on the same indention level?

> It's easier to look for something specific
> (ie. a '{') than looking for *anything*.
> Get my point?

No. See (1) and (2).

> To me it's harder to read. You can't disprove that. :)

Correct. :)

> Being more compact does not automatically mean it's better.

If and only if the readability is the *same*, then it is better if the
code is compact at the same time.

Since it seems to be a subjective matter whether or not the compact
style is better or worse with regard to readability, we may as well look
apart from that discussion.

So we have style 1 which some people find more readable but which is not
very compact.

And we have style 2 which some people find more readable and which is
also more compact.

That leaves one advantage to style 2.

> That's why people should use the better style.

"Better" is a subjective term. "Widely used" is a rather objective term,
and very often, things are widely used for a good reason. And I don't
think there is any doubt about which POV-Ray style is more widely used?

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Sep 8)